The Iron Soldier on the War Memorial Monument project was discussed in 1913 and nearly everyone in town helped finance the project which was dedicated May 30, 1914. It was dedicated to commemorate the Civil and Spanish American wars and to honor the dead of all wars.
Among several other inscriptions, the monument reads:
For God and Country, dedicated in grateful tribute to the living and dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made and kept America great.
The monument is located right in the heart of Downtown St. Louis at the intersection of North Mill Street, Michigan Avenue and M-46 in a beautiful landscaped area just west of Firstbank.