The new fire station located at 220 S. Main St., was dedicated on April 20th, 2016. The facility cost just under $1.3 million to construct. It was fully paid for at the time of the dedication through generous grants from the; Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation, the Rollin M Gerstacker Foundation, the Charles J. Strosacker Foundation, and the Gratiot County Community Foundation., with the balance paid by the member municipalities. The structure is highly serviceable and very energy efficient with LED lighting, and in-floor heating. It was built with anticipation of the structure serving the fire department for the next fifty years.
Emergency responses total just over 400 alarms each year. Roughly two thirds of the alarms are requests for Medical First Responder services. The remainder include; fires, fire alarms, entrapments (JAWS runs), weather spotters, and mutual-aid requests. Response times average about five minutes.
Apparatus and equipment are as follows;
1996 Luverne pumper; 1250 gpm Hale pump, 1000 gallon tank, eduction type Class-A foam system, deck gun, portable generator, SCBA, TIC, and medical supplies.
2012 Spencer pumper; 1250 gpm Hale pump, 1000 gallon tank, eduction type Class-A foam system, hydraulic generator, remote control deck gun, SCBA, TIC, PPV fan, and medical supplies.
2008 U.S. Tanker tanker/pumper; 500 gpm Hale pump, 2000 gallon tank, remote control deck gun, pump and roll capabilities, SCBA, and first aid supplies.
2008 GMC grass truck; 300 gallon tank with 60 gpm pump and first aid supplies.
2002 Spencer rescue; 250 gallon tank, 60 gpm pump, hydraulic extrication tool set, high pressure air bags, stabilization jacks, portable generator, extensive medical supplies, and traffic control devices.
2016 Yamaha ATV; six passenger, with wildfire skid and a rescue skid under construction.