The City of St. Louis was awarded an MDOT Enhancement Grant for $595,000 towards a $695,000 project for the summer of 2007.
South Main Street from M-46 to the railroad tracks will get new sidewalks, Victorian lighting, stamped concrete and landscaping while the St. Louis Area Historical Society Depot Museum area will be improved as well. Crawford Street will be paved between South Main and Franklin Streets and the depot area itself will get historic lighting, brick pavers, stamped concrete, parking area paving and landscaping. In addition, a pavilion will be built to house the 1917 Republic Truck as well as other items of historic interest related to transportation. The metal addition to the depot will be removed and the original exterior will be exposed and the historic toll booth that come from the old Plank Road (M-46) will be restored and placed on a cement base.
Work will begin after July 4 and be completed by this fall. No road closures are planned for South Main Street other than one lane being closed at times. Traffic will still continue to be able to travel both north and south at all times.
This will be an exciting project that helps create a real historic attraction near our downtown and we hope that you’ll enjoy watching the construction!